Kirk D. Kaplan
Certified Public Accountant
My passion for helping people started in childhood when I traveled with my father, a country doctor, to visit ill and elderly patients. Unknowing to my father, his care and attention to the needs of patients taught me how to help my clients.
I have been married for over 30 years. My life-long hobby is magic. I am a Magician Member of the Academy of Magical Arts at the Magic Castle in Hollywood, California. I enjoy performing magic several times a year at the close-up tables located throughout the Magic Castle.
I graduated from Thomas M. Cooley Law School (January 1996), Juris Doctor, Cum Laude, fifth in may class of over 200. My undergraduate degrees are from Regis Collage (May 1986), Cum Laude, with a double bachelors in Accounting and Business Administration.
My professional licenses are Certified Public Accountant (Nevada 1990); Attorney at Law, Nevada (1996) and Colorado (1997). I am also a Bar Member of the United States Supreme Court and Tax Court.
The focus of my law practice is to assist individuals to prepare for and navigate life changing events with estate and business planning, trust and probate litigation, accounting and tax planning and preparation.
- Estate Planning (Trusts and Last Wills and Testaments) and Funding
- Foreign Wills pursuant to Uniform International Will Act.
- Business Structures, Maintenance and Planning
- Federal Income, Gift and Estate Tax Planning
- Charitable Planning
- Probate and Trust Administration
- Probate and Trust Litigation (Enforcing Grantor desires / Beneficiary rights)
- FBAR and FATCA reporting
- Healthcare Directives
- Powers of Attorney
- U.S. Tax Controversies
- IRS Representation
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1996
- Regis University, Double B.S. in Accounting and Business Administration, cum laude, 1986
- Certified Public Accountant – Nevada (1990)
- Attorney at Law – Nevada (1996)
- Attorney at Law – Colorado (1997)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Nevada (1997)
- U.S. Supreme Court (2003)
- U.S. Tax Court (2007)
Professional Articles Authored
- Board Member, Lutheran Social Services of Nevada (2004-2012) – President 2008
- Board Member, Nevada Legal Services (2011-2019) – Chair of Finance Committee
- Nevada Legal Services – Advocate for Low Income Individuals in U.S. Tax Court
- Commissioner, Clark County Housing Authority (2008-2009)
- Magician Member, Academy of Magical Arts, Magic Castle, Hollywood, California.
- Nevada Bar Probate and Trust Legislative Committee
- Colorado Bar Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Nevada Society of Certified Public Accountants (Member, Litigation Support Committee; Chairman, Legislation and Political Action Committee, 1998-1999)
We are legal, accounting, and business minds delivering exemplary service.