Starting now, September 2021, Debbie Conway, Clark County Recorder and her office, began offering an alert notification service of documents recorded against specific real property, a name, or parcel number.
This service is free and is officially called “Clark County Recorder Notification Service.”
How this helps you:
Because most documents affecting title to real property, like deeds and other documents placing liens there upon (not all inclusive list), are recorded remotely and electronically from anywhere in the world, title fraud has increased.
One title company has been advertising the past few years in Las Vegas its “Title Lock” service. The buyer needs to weigh the extent of actual coverage (not the imagined coverage the advertisements invoke), cost, and actual possibility of title to real property is transferred or otherwise negatively affected. The Clark County Recorder Notification Service may reduce the need, if any, for such additional insurance service.
What happens when you receive a an alert:
Once you are signed up, if you receive an alert email, a document has been recorded on the name and/or APN you are monitoring. The alert will provide you with a document instrument number. Click on the link in the email alert to view the document detail information page. If you want a PDF of the actual document, you will need to select it to be placed into a shopping cart to purchase for a few dollars. If you already have not set up an account, you will have to set up an account with the Clark County Recorder. If providing information on the web makes you nervous, you can always travel to the Clark County Recorder’s offices located Downtown Las Vegas, in the North West at 3211 N. Tenaya Way, Las Vegas, NV 89129, or in Henderson at 240 S. Water Street, Henderson, NV 89015. Copy costs will likely be the same as ordering on line. Finally, we if either options does not work, we can assist you, but we will charge for a half hour at our then administrative rate.
How long the opt in service lasts:
Indefinitely for names. As of writing this blog, length of time regarding APNs is as long as the current owner on title remains on title.
When the Notification Service Begins:
After signed up, immediately after you click the URL provided to you in an email from the Clark County government confirming you signed up. As of the writing of this blog, the email from which the Clark County Recorder sends confirmation is: [email protected]. This email address may change.
Getting Prepared to “Opt In” for the Notification Service:
Here is what you need to get prepared to take advantage of the service:
- Select an email address you want the Recorder’s Notification to be sent.
- Think of all the various ways your and your spouse’s names are shown in the public record in Clark County, and
- Gather the Assessor Parcel Numbers of all real property located in Clark County.
The website does not ask for anyone’s Social Security Number or other personal and private information.
Here is how it works:
- You can sign up here
- Complete the page with information collected above.
- Be sure to click the “Opt In” button.
- Open your email app and search for an email from the “clarkcountynv.gov” with a subject line “Clark County RNS Activation” This sender email and subject description may change, but should be similar enough to feel confident links are legitimate. The County Recorder’s office immediately sent an email with links.
- As soon as you click on the URL provided in the email, you are enrolled for your services.
We at Crest Key Legal and Accounting encourage you to sign up for this free service to monitor documents filed against your property and/or with your name.